|Short Title:||Fundamentals of Info Systems|
|Full Title:||Fundamentals of Information Systems|
|Field of Study:||Accounting and taxation|
|Module Delivered in
|Module Author:||MARTIN NOLAN|
|Module Description:||To introduce students to the fundamental aspects of I.T. in business, including hardware, software, data storage technologies and the theoretical basis for understanding how systems work and interact.
To bring the students to a practical level of competency in business related IT tools, including word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software.
|On successful completion of this module the learner will be able to:
||Explain the fundamental Information Technology (IT) concepts that underpin Business Information Systems.A.1.g, D.1.f, E.1.h.
||Describe the fundamental principles of systems theory. A.1.g, D.1.f, E.1.h.
||Explain the characteristics of different IT hardware configurations, in terms of processor, storage and input/output technologies. A.1.g, D.1.f, E.1.h.
||Describe different types of software as used by business. A.1.g, D.1.f, E.1.h.
||Be competent in the use of a computer, produce documents, design spreadsheets and make a presentation. C.1.g, D.1.a, D.1.d, D.1.f,
|No Co-requisite modules listed|
Module Content & Assessment
|End of Module Formal Examination||40.00%|
||% of total
||Lab based continuous assessment.
|End of Module Formal Examination|
||% of total
||End-of-Semester Final Examination
IT Tallaght reserves the right to alter the nature and timings of assessment
|Workload: Full Time
||Average Weekly Learner Workload
||Class Based Instruction
|Total Weekly Learner Workload
|Total Weekly Contact Hours
|This module has no Part Time workload.|
|Required Book Resources|
- Bocij, Chaffey, Greasley & Hickey 2003, Business Information Systems, Technology, Development & Management for the e-Business, Prentice Hall
|Recommended Book Resources|
- Laudon & Laudon,, Business Information Systems, Dryden Press
- ComputerScope, Computers in business, Sunday Business Post
- Technology Section, Irish Times and Irish Independent
- Microsoft, Step by Step Word, Microsoft Press
- Microsoft, Step by Step Excel, Microsoft Press, Microsoft Press
- Microsoft, Step by Step Powerpoint, Microsoft Press
- Online sources referenced during lab sessions
|This module does not have any article/paper resources|
|This module does not have any other resources|