|Short Title:||Professional Practice 4|
|Full Title:||Professional Practice 4|
|Field of Study:||Basic / broad general programmes*|
|Module Author:||ANNE-MARIE SHIER|
|Module Description:||Reflection on the placement experience and awareness of strengths/weaknesses.
Review and evaluate learning points from Practicum 2.
Managing and Resolving Conflict.
Bereavement and Loss.
Systems Theory and Family Therapy Perspectives.
|On successful completion of this module the learner will be able to:
||Review and evaluate learning points from Practicum 2
||Identify the key professional concerns for social care workers.
||Describe the key features of contemporary social theory in family work.
||Demonstrate an understanding of Grief and Loss Theories
||Demonstrate an understanding of suicide and suicide prevention
||Understand and implement advocacy strategies so that they can provide advocacy support to the clients they work with in social care settings.
||Demonstrate knowledge of theory and practice of conflict management and resolution
|No Co-requisite modules listed|
Module Content & Assessment
|Content (The percentage workload breakdown is inidcative and subject to change)
Contributing to Social Care/Child and Youth Care DiscourseExamining publishing in the field.
Writing for a specific audience.
Networking with inter-disciplinary colleagues.
Systems theory and Family Therapy PerspectivesAn introduction to systems theory.
Main concepts of systems theory.
Some practical ideas on application of this theory to practice.
AdvocacyUnderstand and implement advocacy strategies so that they can provide advocacy support to the clients they work with in social care settings.
Grief and LossKey Grief and Loss Theories and application of grief and loss theories to social care practice
Conflict Management and ResolutionDevelop skills in empathetic listening for conflict situations, assertion for conflict situations, and conflict resolution and management skills.
|End of Module Formal Examination||50.00%|
|End of Module Formal Examination|
||% of total
||End-of-Semester Final Examination
Reassessment of this module will consist of a repeat examination. It is possible that there will also be a requirement to be reassessed in a coursework element.
IT Tallaght reserves the right to alter the nature and timings of assessment
|Workload: Full Time
||Average Weekly Learner Workload
|Independent Learning Time
|Total Weekly Learner Workload
|Total Weekly Contact Hours
|This module has no Part Time workload.|
|Recommended Book Resources|
- Parsloe P 1999, Risk Assessment in Social Care and Social Work, Jesssica Kingsley
- Charleton M 2007, Ethics for Social Care in Ireland: Philosophy and Practice, Gill & MacMillan
- O’Connor T & Murphy M 2006, Social Care in Ireland: Theory, Policy & Practice, CIT Press
- Bateman N 2000, Advocacy Skills for health and Social Care professionals, Jessica Kingsley
- Daly F 2005, Lives in Foster Care: the educational and social support experiences of young people aged 13 to 14, Children’s Research Centre
- Fewster, G. & Garfat, T. 2002, Journal of Child and Youth Care, Malaspina University
- Mann-Feder, V. 2002, Journal of Child and Youth Care Work, University of Wisconsin
- E. Jones 1993, Family Systems Theory, John Wiley London
- M. White & D. Epston 1990, Narrative Means to Therapeutic Ends, W&W Norton New York
- V. Burr 1995, An Introduction to Social Constructionism, Routledge London
- C. Smith & D. Nylund (eds) 1997, Narrative Therapies with Children and Adolescents, Guilford London
- K. Mc Keown & J. Sweeney 2001, Family well-being and family policy-a review of research on benefits and costs, Dept. of Health & Children Dublin
- K. Mc Keown 2000, A guide to what works in family support services for vulnerable families, Dept. of Health & Children Dublin
- NCH Project 2001, Creating a Safe Place, Jessica Kingsley London
- Elisabeth Kübler-Ross and David Kessler 2005, On grief and grieving, Simon and Schuster London [ISBN: 0743263448]
- Pauline Boss 1999, Ambiguous loss, Harvard University Press Cambridge, Mass. [ISBN: 0674003810]
- Elisabeth K?ubler-Ross 1997, On death and dying, Touchstone New York [ISBN: 0684839385]
- Robert Bolton 1986, People skills, Simon & Schuster New York [ISBN: 978-0671622480]
|Required Article/Paper Resources|
- D. Saleebey 2000, n/a, Irish Social Worker, Volume 18(1)
|This module does not have any other resources|
Module Delivered in